‘To Leave Footprints Behind that Our Children will be Proud to Walk In”
The Education Team comprises of:
- Jodie Ware, Education Programs
- Minnie Isadore, Employment & Training Coordinator
- Rachael Ewert, Workforce Promoter & Mt. Milligan Liaison
The Education Department of the McLeod Lake Indian Band is committed to helping MLIB members to achieve their educational goals and aspirations through the delivery of quality educational programs and services. It supports students attending a wide variety of educational institutions in the Canada. The Department sees education as being the key to the Nation achieving its goals of employment and a quality standard of living for all members. The Education Department is responsible for providing educational services to the McLeod Lake Indian Band membership (on and off reserve) and to community members. These services are intended to address the educational needs of our kindergarten to grade twelve children, post-secondary students, and adults engaged in improving their employability in the workforce.
The program aims to improve the employability of McLeod Lake Indian Band by providing funding to access education and skills development opportunities at the post-secondary level.
Eligible post-secondary levels include:
diploma or certificate programs
advanced or professional degree programs
The program is administered by McLeod Lake Indian Band Education Department whom administers the funding and selection criteria in accordance with national guidelines and our own local operating policy. ISC provides funding for this program as part of core funding agreements with Indigenous governments and organizations.
Eligible costs covered by the program may include tuition, books, travel support and living allowances.
The deadline for September student intake is April 1st, and for a January intake is September 1st (pending funding availability as the September intake has priority).
Students can apply through the McLeod Lake Indian Band Education Department for the following types of support:
· Tuition Fees
· Registration Fees
· Examination Fees
· Cost of books and supplies
· Tutorial Support
· Living Expense
· Scholarships/Bursary Information
· Post-Secondary Application Form
· Academic Transcripts
· Personal Resume
· Education Plan (career goals & objectives)
· Letter of Acceptance
· Copy of Program Information with fee schedule
· Copy of Status Card (must be current)
In addition to meeting all the application, reporting, security and record keeping requirements involved, the Education Department is continuously involved in exploring new educational opportunities as they emerge and cultivating new partnerships to help achieve the present and future educational needs of the McLeod Lake Indian Band membership and community.
Elementary and Secondary Assistance
The Education Department provides a variety of services to assist our eligible students from kindergarten to grade 12.
These services include:
· Student monthly incentive
· Student fees and school supplies
· Tutoring support
· Extra-Curricular Activity Fund
· Student, parent and school liaison
· Student support and peer counselling
· Participate on School District committees
· Negotiate and participate education agreements with School District on behalf of McLeod Lake Indian Band.
· Liaison with other local educational institutions.
Any other questions or inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us! We want to hear from you and hope you enjoy the programs.
Direct Line: (250) 750-4868
Cell: (250) 614-3713
Office Hours: 8:30 am – 12:00pm, 12:30pm – 4:00pm Monday to Friday
McLeod Lake, BC V0J 2G0