Reserves and Traditional Lands Stewardship
Address: 4821 South Access Road, PO Box 87, Chetwynd, BC V0C 1J0
Phone Number: 1 (250) 788-2227
Due to COVID-19 changes, the doors of our Land Referral office in Chetwynd are locked and meetings are by appointment. Our team is continuing to work full-time reviewing referrals and responding to applications as stewards of the McLeod Lake Indian Band lands. Please phone or email the person you wish to speak with and set up an appointment for a meeting.
Role of the Referrals Office
Resource developments like logging, hydro-electric projects, commercial tourism, and mining continue within our Traditional Territory through a permitting process, requiring the “permission” of the provincial government to take place. Before giving its permission for a proposed activity, the government must consult with McLeod Lake Indian Band (and other local area First Nations). The Province “refers” proposals to our department to consider and requests a formal response.
At this point in time, the provincial government makes the final decision whether a proposal can proceed, and on what conditions. The Land Stewardship Office reps work with our Traditional Land Use database to ensure our Treaty 8 Rights and interests are fully expressed when responding to the government about proposals.
Our Referrals Office may at times provide information to members of our Chief and Council to assist them in making their decisions and responding to referral applications that may have to do with economic development for our Community and Corporations.
We may request further clarity and technical assistance to help conduct some research and information when providing responses that would help protect and advocate our Treaty 8 Rights and interests, keeping track of the referral timeline and response due dates, recording and documenting our referrals within a Shared Database system we designed.
The Work of the Referrals Office
- be aware about all major resource development activities within our Traditional Territory that may impact our Treaty rights
- keeps a confidential database of our Traditional Land Use, recording all decisions made on different types of applications, and information related to those decisions
- conduct desktop reviews or site visits and report on each application referred to our department
- prepare draft responses on our Environmental Livelihoods to the contemplated resource development or activity application and send to the Province for review
- arrange meetings between local area First Nations and the government, or the applicant, to discuss concerns about major applications contemplating environmental assessments
- facilitate discussions about ways to ensure our Treaty and Aboriginal rights of McLeod Lake Indian Band are recognized and protected.
Initiate the Conversation
We encourage companies and individuals proposing to undertake resource development or commercial activities within our Traditional Territory to contact us at the Referrals Office before applying to the government for a permit or license.
The Referrals Team can arrange for you to meet with our Directors and Chief and Council to discuss your proposal. Having this kind of conversation in advance will help your company better understand McLeod Lake Indian band’s concerns and requirements if the development or activity is to go ahead. The formal application process can be faster and more straightforward by taking a step like this and addressing the matters that we might see in your application.
|Senior Land Referrals Officer||Eran Spence|
|Interim Forestry Referrals Officer||Justin Keutzer|
|Traditional Land Use Coordinator||Nathan Tsidabohl Prince|
|LRO Finance Coordinator||Debbie Pinkston|
|Land Management Coordinator||Tania Solonas|
|BC Hydro Liaison||Margaret McDonald|
|Lands Intern||Jessica Solonas|
|Lands Stewardship Director
Chetwynd Office: 250-788-7702
McLeod Lake Office: 250-750-6861
Land Referral Office Newsletters:
|All Interested Monitors 2021||March.16.2021|
|Regional Emergency Management Coordinator||October 5, 2021|
Click Link below to view/download documents
Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Saturday / Sunday: Closed
Closed on the following holidays: